Sunday, April 29, 2007

I...am a superstar!


So Whit and I did our 20 miler on Saturday. I know, WOW! Right?! It actually went pretty well. We started, again, about 4 miles above Vivian in Provo Canyon and stayed on the river trail all the way to my house (by the lake). We didn't go all the way out to the lake, but pretty close. The first 14 miles were easy as pie, but it started to get a little hard around mile 16. But we just kept trucking along. The last mile was brutal, but Whit pushed me to keep going, and we totally finished! I'm sure that is how it's going to be for each of the last 6 miles of the marathon, just forcing my body to keep going. I guess that's what makes it so much of an accomplishment, right?! But I am starting to feel pretty good about the marathon now, like I will actually be able to do it. Pretty cool, huh?! So only 3 weeks to go, and thankfully, our mileage really tapers off. Our long runs are only 12 miles, then 8 miles, then the next week is the marathon. So, we'll let you know how it goes! Here are some pictures after the run. Don't worry that our background is the nursery. It was the only place that didn't have a glare from the windows or a mirror or that wasn't a disaster, and I'm not really sure what is up with our poses...we were tired, and weren't really thinking clearly!

11 comments:

whitney said...

yeah, those are pretty dorky poses. but hey, we're awesome anyway. :)

Gretchen said...

Morgan & Whitney-- Congratulations! 20 miles! Woo hoo! That is awesome. It's a goal of mine to run a marathon. It's such an amazing physical and mental accomplishment (including all the discipline and motivation it takes to get through the training). What training program are you guys using? Do you read Runner's World? I *love* that magazine for running inspiration!

Morgan said...

we are using the Hal Higdon's website for our training program. And Whit reads runners world, I just got a trial subscription for registering for the marathon, but haven't gotten one yet, but am actually really excited for it!

Jessica said...

I can't believe you two. I am so impressed. Five miles is killing me, I can't imagine 20. Good luck.

Morgan said...

way to go Jessica, already up to 5, that is seriously awsome, and with a double jogging stroller!!

IronLawGirl said...

That is soooooo awesome! I actually made a goal to run the PF Changs marathon here in Jan. I started training, and two weeks into my training, my knees started hurting. SO I took a break that lasted....FOREVER! So maybe next year. :) When did you guys start training?

Morgan said...

we started training like the 2nd week in Jan and our marathon is in 3 weeks. I wasn't much of a runner before we started, and I had just had a baby 4 months ago, so I wasn't in good shape at all. So it has been hard...I could never have done it w/ out my sisters, especially Whit...she is always pushing me to do better!

You should try again, if I can do it, anyone can do it. If your knees hurt, make sure you have the right shoes and make sure your form is correct (a running store will help you with all of that).

mj said...

you're getting me excited to train for one...it's actually in sacramento in december, so we'll se how it goes. i went running for the first time post-leah last wednesday and it wasn't a complete disaster, so that's good. i'm so excited for you!! and glad to know you're using hal higdon - that's what was recommended to me and i like it so far.

mj said...

oh - and those are darling shorts - or are they skirts? where did you get them??? i desperately need new running clothes and shoes...what do you like/not like?

Morgan said...

Mare~ those skirts (which are both NB) are both Whits and she got one of them at Runner's Corner in Provo and the other one online at I believe Runningwarehouse.com (great site!) I got my shoes there for cheap (free shipping) and we are looking now for matching shirts to wear.

That is so awesome that you are going to do one. I would recommend finding someone to run with. I don't think I could ever do it by myself. Although, you have always been more disciplined than me, so maybe you'll be fine! Which marathon is it in Sac? It is so weird that you live so close to my hometown now!

Good luck with the training and keep me updated!

Hannah said...

Wow! Running a mile would be an accomplishment for me!