Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh happy day

Dude! I was a total rockstar today! I woke up at 6:30 am to go running in the freezing cold weather (thanks to Nate who both woke me up, and convinced me I would feel better if I went)... it was great. I came home happy and awake to a quiet house, where Nate and I could talk and have a few minutes to ourselves. When the kids woke up, I was happy to see them and they were both in good moods. I was super productive... baked 2 loaves of whole wheat bread, some fococcia bread, hamburger buns, and 2 loaves of pumpkin bread, and made and grilled hamburger patties, all in my tiny kitchen... I knew I wouldn't let that thing slow me down!

At 5:30 pm, we sat down to dinner. After dinner, the house was a mess, Nate had to leave at 6:00 pm to go to class, and I had to leave at 6:30 pm. By 6:15, I had the house cleaned, Asher in bed, and Sayer ready for bed, and was ready to go out myself. I don't know where my sudden burst of energy came from... oh yeah, my RUN this morning!!!
Asher "helping" me make the pumpkin bread
I set the hamburger buns on the table while I was getting everything else ready, and Asher took a bite out of each bun and put it back. We thought it was pretty funny. We still ate them.


My babysitter was late, so I had to seriously sprint to the subway station, where I was keeping Kendra waiting. When we got off at 50th street, we had to sprint to 46th in order to catch our 7:00 pm show...


It was AWESOME! It won 4 tony awards this year, including Best musical, Best original score, Best choreography, and Best orchestrations. The dancing was so awesome, with some hip hop, salsa and modern. The music was a really cool mix of your traditional "broadway" sound with some rap-ish singing as well. Mostly the women sang super powerful, and the guys were more of the rappers. I am not normally a fan of rap, but it really fit the show, and it wasn't ghetto rap, more just rhyming with the music. It is about a neighborhood in Manhattan, Washington Heights, which is about 50 blocks or so north of us. The area is made up of mostly Dominicans and Latinos, and the musical is about a particular street where everyone knows each other and are a part of each other's lives. The show takes you through relationships and changes in their lives. It is great musically, funny, emotional, and every thing else you want in a Broadway musical.

When I saw that the Teacher's College was having a special ticket price on this show, I asked Kendra if she wanted to come, as she lives in Washington Heights, and has wanted to see it for a while. She loved it too and said it was a very good representation of the area. After the show we went and had a little Junior's cheesecake, which was scrump, and then came home.
The set

Kendra and me

All in all, a pretty awesome day, wouldn't ya say??

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Very fun! Looks like you guys are having a blast there! Live it up while you can!!

IronLawGirl said...

Way super productive day! Good job!!

Bethanne said...

YEA! That is awesome...sounds like you had a GREAT day.

Lisa said...

my days always go better when I wake up in the morning and get my exercise out of the way. Now if only I could go to bed on time...

whitney said...

happy day indeed! i love asher sampling all the hamburger buns... totally a crack up.

Michal Thompson said...

You are amazing. I love looking at the clock and realizing I have done so much and it is only 10am!! But even then, you did way more than I could ever dream. You are a baking queen!

Heidi said...

FUn I love your life in the city ;-). Way to be so productive too!

So to answer your question on my blog, I think like 40 states have early voting open. It is just to reduce lines on the actual day of voting.

Lark said...

I love that you are taking advantage of the city - looks like you are having lots of fun.
Good job on your productive day! Especially all that baking!

Kendra said...

Awesome show! I really want to see that one, Nathan brought home the music, and we love it, that is great that you got to see it!

Sarah said...

That is so awesome that you are going out and seeing shows and stuff..way to live it up! Have a great weekend- Sarah

Josh and Michelle said...

Man you are good! Pumpkin bread sounds really good. All these shows you go to would be so fun! to bad I live in boringville.

Kendra Leigh said...

Hooray for shows with friends! Thanks again for thinking of me. I totally want to see it again- I may live in the 'hood, but I sure love it! :)