Saturday, June 13, 2009

Billy Elliot


Well, I have been a huge slacker with the blogging lately. I have no excuses... just that I haven't really had the desire. I always have such great ideas for posts, but then when it actually comes down to blogging about it, it just sounds like way too much effort. But here I am now, ready to {slowly} document what we've been up to. This is totally out of order, but this is by far one of the more exciting things we/I have done, so I will start with it...

My mom and dad and two youngest sisters are in town this week, and on the first night they were here, we saw Billy Elliot. It was SO good. It's not your typical broadway experience, but that was part of what made it so great. The dancing and music are both incredible, but it's also a very moving story, and to top it all off, it was hilarious! I am not easily offended by this type of thing, so this didn't bother me, but there is a lot of swearing, and there is probably someone smoking a cigarette in almost every scene. You kind of just have to realize the time and place that is being represented, and it makes total sense. It takes place in a lower class mining community in England, during 1984, so it didn't really seem out of place or crude to me. Just a warning for those of you that are bothered by that. Anyway, it's definitely a must see. They just won a Tony for Best Musical, and the 3 Billys won for best actor, so it was completely sold out. Luckily my mom is a die hard, and stood in the cancellation line for almost 3 hours to get tickets 10 minutes before the show started. But we sat in the dead center of the 3rd row from the stage, so it was definitely worth it!

How cute is this kid?!? This is the Billy that we saw, and he was ADORABLE, and so talented. There are 3 {actually 4 now} Billys that share the role, as it is so demanding. Here is a clip from Regis and Kelly of the 3 Billys doing one of the songs from the show. Obviously it's different from this in the show, as only one does it, but I think it's fun to see them doing it together. Enjoy!

2 comments:

whitney said...

um, those boys are amazing!

Heidi said...

I want to see this!