Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gypsy

Last night, Nate sent me out on the town by myself, which was much needed and much appreciated. I took advantage of the student discount we get, and went and saw Gypsy, starring Patti LuPone who, by the way, is A-MA-ZING! The show is about a very over-zealous backstage mom, who is obsessed with pushing her daughters to stardom. It was a great, entertaining show, although I thought the script had some plot holes in it, as in the second act, the main character goes from a sweet, moral, innocent girl, to a stripper, and it's never really clear why she does that, except that she likes it. So that was kind of weird, a little Grease-ish if you will, you know, good turns bad. But the music and singing was incredible, I would definitely recommend it if you don't mind that the very end is a little risque. Oh, but I have to say, the absolute BEST part, is when these 3 old and washed up Burlesque chicks, sing about their acts wearing fishnets, and essentially lingerie. And they were really these women in their 60s or 70s, just struttin' their stuff. It was, HILARIOUS!! So, while I definitely don't think my dad would enjoy it... I thought it was quite entertaining!

So while that was the best part of the show, the best part of the night, was when I came out of the theater onto 44th Street, and there was Daniel Radcliffe making his grand exit from his play Equus, which just happened to be across the street.  Ok, so I technically only saw his back, but it was definitely him, wearing what looked like a black leather jacket and a hat.  There were tons of people, and it was very crazy, so it was hard to tell for sure.  He got into a plain black SUV with dark tinted windows, and just drove away.  Well, his driver did anyway.  I was surprised by how short he is, Daniel, not his driver.  I know it's silly, but I thought it was pretty cool.  I texted the news to my sister Jillian right away, and was very disappointed when she failed to write back to share in my excitement.  Come on Jill, I really expected more from you!;)

12 comments:

jillian said...

I'm sorry, Morg, I was at a concert and didn't want to be texting! But that is RAD!!!

Lisa said...

Gypsy is a little weird that way, but it's always fun to see a broadway play right on broadway! Maybe you'll see a picture of Daniel in the next us weekly and you can say, "Hey, I was right there!"

The Mason Family said...

Okay so I apologize for barging uninvited onto your blog like this, but I just got a note from Lisa Blaser telling me that we needed to find her friend Morgan. I figured there couldn't be too many mormons named Morgan here at Columbia so I checked out her blog list and there you were :) John is David's best friend from high school and college- small world when you're LDS huh? Anyway, just wanted to let you know we have a mutual friend!

B said...

time by yourself! what's that? just kidding, sounds like so much fun :)

Bethanne said...

Oh how I miss the shows...NY is definitely worth it just for that! :) Glad you got to go and that you enjoyed it so!

Heidi said...

Wow all the excitement of the city in one night- going to a show and then seeing a celeb! I love it

Tyson and Marie said...

Hey! How are you? I love all of your funny comments....especially the kitchen situation:) You will have to give me pregnancy and parenting tips:) I will sure need them. What stinkin cute little boys!

Michal Thompson said...

Don't you love being where you can see any show you want? As far as Asher, give him a month, maybe more to get adjusted, the hitting will go away. They regress when big things happen in their lives. Way to go on a great sleeper (sayer) I am super jealous!

Mel and Nate said...

We miss you guys!!!! I feel like there is hardly any little ones in the ward now! I am jealous you are living in such a cool place! I am so glad you have a blog so we can keep in touch!

Jessica said...

What a sweet husband. I need some more alone time. Your boys look adorable in the pictures below. I love Ashers' haircut. They are so handsome.

Lulucarrot said...

I heart Harry Potter and I am super jealous of this post! I want to live in NYC!

Karen Steyskal said...

There was a movie about her. It's about Gypsy Rose Lee and she was a real person. Her mom wanted her and her sister to be stars (they were trying to be singer/dancers) so badly that when the stripper at the vaudeville theater where mom was trying to get them on stage got sick, or quit, or whatever, Gypsy's mom pushed her out on stage and told her to do a classy stripper act. She sang "let me entertain you," wiggled and strutted a lot and then let the strap down off her shoulder. The audience went wild and a "star" was born. Later, Gypsy Rose Lee had her own talk show. It was when I was a teenager.Does that date me or what? Natalie Wood played Gypsy in the movie and I cant remember what the name is. Anyway, I 've loved looking at your blog and reading about your experiences with your move. You and Nate are on a great adventure! Remember, I'm only an 18 hour drive away! Yeah, right, huh? I love you much, Aunt Karen