Wednesday, February 27, 2008

They call me crafty

Ok, so really, they don't call me crafty, because well, I'm not! But lately I have been attempting to be crafty. Here are my latest projects that I just finished today...


I just re-did our upstairs bathroom, as in new rugs and towels, etc, to match our semi-new bedding better. I love the colors, brown and light caribbean blue. After moving the pictures that were on the wall to the basement bathroom, the bare wall didn't look so good. You will notice that this is not the first time I have used these wooden frames. In fact, I use them a lot. But they are cheap and you can do so much with them, and again, I am not really that crafty, so my imagination is very limited! But I thought they turned out pretty cute. Those flowers are of course done by free-hand! HA, yeah right! I used a stencil, and even then, they are not perfect. It is a lot harder to use a stencil than you would think. Even having it all taped down, it was hard not to lift it up, thus getting paint where it is not supposed to be. I still haven't decided what to put in them. My first thought was mirrors, but I haven't come across any the right size yet, so any thoughts on this are welcome! So anyway, there's that!


With this baby, I wanted to get a sling, as we don't have a double stroller yet. We have a baby bjorn, but I like it better for older babies. I wanted something that I could keep the baby swaddled in if he is sleeping. So I have been researching pouch slings like crazy. I had decided on a couple brands that I liked (I think they were Hotslings and Slinglings if you want to check them out), but they are kind of expensive for a simple piece of fabric. So I searched online for some patterns, and found two sites that I liked. They are both basically the same, but one shows you how to do a reversible one, so I used that one the most. But the other one's instructions were much easier to understand. I am not a fabulous seamstress, so it is not perfect, but it works for me. Plus I love the fabric I picked out. It's kind of hard to tell how it will fit with my belly still in the way, but I think it will work well. 


I also was in the market for a nursing cover of some sort. My friend DaNae did a post about how her and her sister made Hooter Hiders, so she showed me the site with directions, and I made a matching one. Again, I wanted it to be reversible, so I had to tweak the instructions a bit. I pretty much made up the part to attach the straps and put the boning in, and I think it still turned out ok. Next time, I will use matching thread, instead of just white which is all I had. But I am fine with it, imperfections and all, but when I make them again, for gifts and such, I will know a little better how to perfect it. By the way, the reversible side on both the HH and the pouch is brown, sorry you can't see it.

And that's 3 more items to cross off my "to do before the baby comes" list!!

21 comments:

janaya said...

love the frames! nice work. and how cool that you're all crafty and sewing and what not. very inspiring... in one of those "maybe in a few years" kind of ways. :)

Josh and Michelle said...

Good Job! I think you are crafty. at least in my book. Iam impressed.

Lant Family said...

Those frames are really cute. Where did you get them? We made HH at mothers group but mine did not turn out that cute. It wasn't big enough. Yours looks fantastic. I also love the sling. I will have to save those links for future refrences. You are SO ambitious.

jillian said...

I call you crafty.

Morgan said...

heather, those frames are just from roberts, $4.99 each, plus the 40% off... such a bargain! they are in the wood section, with all the unfinished shelves and frames, etc.

Chrissie said...

"Not crafty, shmot shmafty!" What talent! My cousin just made me one of those baby slings and I am very excited to use it. P.S. Do I have permission to put a link to your blog on mine? You're under no obligation to say yes!

Michal Thompson said...

Those are some of my favorites too. I got a sling for Ashlyn and have just loved it. I recently made a nursing cover too! You will love them both! You really are crafty! I don't think I could do that. You are like me- there is a long to do list before the baby comes.

Tyson and Marie said...

You are VERY crafty! That is so awesome. I don't know how to do any of that stuff! You look great for being so far along! I can't wait to see this cute little baby. Love ya!

DaNae said...

I love how everything turned out! I want to see them in person. And I love the brown and blue frames, such a cute color combo.

S-K-S said...

wow you are awesome! I want to do some crafts with you. I am always making bows and head bands for Kaylee but i would love to do some home stuff!

Jessica said...

I totally want to make the hooter hider. I have fabric and everything. I have just been waiting to find a pattern. Thanks. Oh BTW with your stomach covered like that you don't even look pregnant. I was always so swollen at the end, like major fat face. You look awesome.

Lant Family said...

I will have to look at that book. We watched the video when Lucy was very first born. But they have one for toddlers? Does the Library have it? Will you give me the info so I can get it? Yeah we tried putting her to bed earleir once and she was getting up at like 7 AM but now that she is doing that anyways I am going to try it again. So she has been sleepging now for 3 hours, ever since she fell asleep on the couch. I keep thinking she will wake up and she keeps sleeping. Which is great because I took a nice nap myself :)

Heidi said...

I was going to suggest mirrors for those frames. They look very cute. I have no skills when it comes to sewing so I am very impressed with your sling and hooter hider. Luckily I received a one of each of those at my baby shower so I do not have to worry about learning to make my own- it would be a disaster!

Orange Peanut said...

Someone is nesting!!!! Way to go Morgan!!! You are awesome and very crafty indeed!!!

In response to the comment you left me: I am slowly starting my own business. Check out my business blog - listed under Orange Peanut Designs on the right side of my blog. Ryan is in the process of designing my website www.orangepeanut.com. It's an outlet for me! I love it and still have a lot to learn!

Orange Peanut said...

Morgan - you can make a placemat diaper bag by using two placemates. The best part is shopping for the placemates. What a fun grab and go bag!!! It would be cool to add a few pockets though! You can never have too many pockets!

Lark said...

Hey crafty girl...I had the same desire to get a baby sling too! But yeah, so expensive. I used some fabric I got in Africa a few years ago and made 2 slings both from the Jan Adrea website. I bought some sling rings and made a ring sling and the pouch kind like you made. I am also hoping they work and that when the baby comes that I will know how to put her in it (especially the ring sling one). Good luck on delivery!

Kadi said...

Wow Morgan! I think you're amazing. Totally crafty I would say. I always get stressed right before having a baby..."I gotta get all this done!!!" Seriously, way to check off not one, but three things! Good luck with the new one! We're excited for you!

Trent & Emily Davies said...

I am so impressed! I am not pregnant and I can't find the energy to do anything that you do! I need to hire you to do some crafts for me!

Amanda said...

At 23 pounds and 9 1/2 months, I still wear Silvester in a sling. He likes it way better than pretty much everything else. He hates his nursing cover by now, but the sling is his happy place.

Lindsay said...

You claim to be deficient in the craft factor?! Whatever! Love the frames! Love the sling! You, my friend, are a crafter!

Summer Adams said...

Oh my, you ARE crafty and I'm soooo stinkin' impressed!!! I'm starting my first sewing project today so I wish you hadn't just had Sayer cuz I'd be asking you to come over and help me. You did a fantastic job!!!