Saturday, December 27, 2008

Santa and Grand Central Station

The day before Christmas Eve, we made it down to Macy's to see Santa. It was not nearly as crazy as the day after Thanksgiving, which was nice, but it was still a bit of a mad house. It was so worth it though. Going to see Santa in NY is a big deal. You go up to the 8th floor and get in line. It normally takes about 20-30 minutes to get inside the train, but luckily for us, it wasn't too busy so it took about 10 minutes. I almost didn't make it in because I thought it would take longer, so I went to get a sandwich as I hadn't eaten a single thing all day, and it was almost noon. Apparently, they are super strict and don't let you get back in line once you get into the train. Thankfully, Nate and the boys had JUST gone in, so she let me past... but she almost didn't. Inside the "train" was so cool. It was like another little world in there, with trains, singing and dancing teddy bears and polar bears, and toy making factories, Christmas trees... it was so fun. Asher could not get enough of the trains. He kept asking to see more. We were probably only in there for about 20 minutes or so. People in line are so funny, or annoying, one of those. Clearly, there is no where to go. The line moves at it's own slow pace, so when the person in front of you moves forward, it's not like you have to rush to catch up to them. Well, we were taking our time, (not too far behind the people in front of us) taking pictures, showing Asher the toys, etc etc. Then some lady behind us has to ruin our fun by saying quite rudely: "could we move it along here?!" Well, excuse me for wanting to give my child a fun experience and not just rush through the line. I was so bugged, but decided to just let it go. When you get to where Santa's houses are... yes, housES... there are 5 from what I hear, they direct you to a certain one. One is black, one is Latino, maybe an Asian one, and then of course a white one, maybe two. I thought that was really funny at first, but it makes sense I think. We got a white one, obviously. He was very kind and jolly and asked Asher what he wanted for Christmas. Asher just sat there looking so confused. At least he didn't cry. Sayer was having a grand old time. He loved Santa and his beard and just looked around smiling and charming all of Santa's helpers. It was really fun though, and I am glad we made the trek down there to see him.

After Santa, we went up to Grand Central Station to see the train show. Asher of course LOVED it and couldn't get enough of it. He kept asking for "more" trains and kept circling around trying to find new ones that he hadn't seen yet. What can I say, the kid loves trains. There was also a light show in the main concourse where they play Christmas songs and have pictures out of lights dancing on the walls, which was a lot of fun and again, Asher loved it.

After that, we decided to head home as the kids were super tired, and it was SOOO cold. Asher refused to put his mittens on, so by the time we got to the subway station, his hands were icicles and they hurt, so he was crying. Then they started hurting even more when they started thawing out on the subway. They turned bright red. Poor little guy... although it serves him right... he should have listened to his mother and put his glovies on! Aside from the cold hands, it was a fun day and it was so nice to get out of the apartment.

No comments: