Saturday, January 26, 2008

When daddy's gone...

Nate has been out of town since Thursday night and it has just been Asher and me since then. Our weekend can be summarized by long periods of productivity, followed by long periods of extreme laziness. I don't know about the rest of you, but for some reason, when my husband goes out of town, I get so much done. This weekend was no exception. These are the results of my productivity...













Before: don't mind the table
on the bed! (both of the big room)
















After: small room on the left, big "blue" room on the right
I just got the flowery bedding at Target on CLEARANCE...
great find... I LOVE it!!

I was a little disappointed with the blue paint that I picked out, I wanted more of a french blue to match the bedding better, but I still think it turned out fine... both rooms still need some curtains and a little more decor, but it is DEFINITELY an improvement over what they were. The "before" pictures don't really do them justice. Both rooms were so gross... dirty, scratched, scuffed, stained, etc etc. It was so dark and uninviting down there. I am sure every one who has ever stayed in either of these rooms is wishing that I painted them about 2 years ago... oh well, they're done now, and I think they are very bright and cheery!! They are all ready for everyone coming to visit after the baby is born!! ;)

I was so proud of myself! I painted the blue room in one day (baseboards, doors and all), during Asher's nap and then when he went to bed. Then on Saturday during Asher's nap I did the small room, which was already half way done (I started when I was 8 months pregnant with Asher, but then just couldn't find it in myself to finish it, seeing as how I had already painted our bedroom, the hallway and bathroom and the basement hallway, and all the doors and baseboards. Yes, it has taken me this long to have even the tiniest desire to paint again. I guess there really is something to be said about the "nesting period" during pregnancy!). So I should say that my long periods of laziness were not only warranted, but completely necessary! With my pregnant body, and not being as active as usual, my poor muscles were so sore and my sciatic nerve was killing. After painting, I would lay on the couch with my feet up while Asher played around me, and occasionally on me. Then I would get it together and go run some errands.



Asher was a complete angel all weekend. He was so happy every time we got in the car and went somewhere. On Saturday, I got a little creative... after we went to Robert's for the second time, I wanted him to be able to play and run around, but all the parks are still snowy (even though it was so nice and warm today). So I let him run around Deseret Book for awhile, then we headed out to the sidewalks, which led us to Staples where Asher proceeded to pick out his favorite candy bars for about 20 minutes. By the way, his favorites are Twix and Snickers (king size). Then he didn't even fuss when I put him back in the car. On the way home, we stopped at Aunt Jillian's, where we discovered Asher's love for raisins.

On Saturday night, I was going to paint the basement bathroom (which thankfully is really small) but I opted for a movie night (Hairspray and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days) and craft time instead (the frames above the flowery bed)... a wise decision I think.

So in a nut shell... checked lots of stuff off of my to do list, relaxed, had fun with Asher, read Anne of Green Gables, and watched chick flicks... I would call that a very successful weekend!!


Tonight: Nate comes home, delicious London Broil for dinner, and Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on PBS... Yay!!

6 comments:

whitney said...

ben wanted me to tell you: "props to you, morg!" he thinks you could be on TV and do those home makeover shows. both those rooms look so awesome. i really love the red frames over the bed. i think they look better without the border and the criss-cross thing. they look really great just plain red. nice work!

Morgan said...

thanks, i'm glad you like it! that's funny that ben said that. i totally felt like i was doing that show "while you were out", as i didn't tell nate that i was painting at all, and totally surprised him when he got home today. he was impressed! i told him he gets to paint the office, and he said ok. we'll see if it ever happens!!

Michal Thompson said...

okay so you made me dizzy! I can't imagine getting to do all those things when my husband is gone. I mean it was like a party- you got stuff DONE, but got to watch movies and relax. Paiting would be unthinkable- even with Connor around, I would get one wall done, if that. I can imagine what you are feeling- totally awesome!

MYHowderFamily said...

Morgan it's the Howders. Just saw Nate and you on BYU TV last night of course a repeat but it still was nice to see your shining faces. The kids were surprised and it was fun watching the reactions (Mom aren't they done with BYU?). Sounds like life is good and that darling little Asher is growing up! Well Zach turns 13 in a month crazy! We are adjusting to North Carolina but are looking forward to our trip back to California in a couple weeks! Yeah! Anyways, just thought I'd send you a hello. Love readying your blog! Oh yeah one more thing! YES, we do get more done when the husband is away, lol! Hugs and Kisses Yvonne

S-K-S said...

wow you are just like a trading spaces pro :) Those rooms look great. Now where do you guys live now and do you know what you are having yet or you now finding out?

Morgan said...

shara- we live in provo, out by the lake, and we are having another boy!! i don't think i could ever be patient enough to wait!