Thursday, April 10, 2008

Adios Binky: Phase 1

So today, I spontaneously decided that it was time to start weaning Asher from his best friend... "bee-dee". I heard from a friend the other day, that it works well to just start by snipping the very tip off the nipple, and then slowly snip it shorter and shorter over a period of time. The hope is that they will start not wanting it on their own, because they won't like it as much, because "something" is wrong with the nipple. I like the idea because it's not so drastic, and I like the idea of Asher deciding that he doesn't like to suck on it anymore. Of course, this is all best case scenario. So anywho, today I was washing it off after his lunch, and just decided right then and there to snip the tip. I did it without him seeing, then gave it back to him. He has definitely noticed a difference, but not enough to make him mad, just a little confused. He's already not sucking on it as much. But it is during the day, and he has always done okay without it in the day time. I'm sure he won't really mind tonight either, but we shall see. I will keep you posted as I continue snipping.

8 comments:

Trent & Emily Davies said...

Good luck!! I totally lucked out with Erika because she never did like them. I am excited to see if this works though because its good to know for other kids down the road! I too like the idea of them deciding for themselves that they don't like it anymore (even if you did help them make that decision by altering the binky!)

Lant Family said...

We tried that with Lucy and she didn't care. It got to the point that food would get stuck in the nipple part and it was so gross. So then we had to buy new ones. Oh the things we do!! Good Luck. I read that it works for a lot of kids. Let us know how it works .

DaNae said...

Good luck with the transition! I'm sure Asher will do fabulous.

buhlersdayoff said...

That's great! Brinley never had a bottle and never liked the binky so I thought I was in the clear but then one of her friends would suck her thumb so at 1 1/2 she started sucking her finger and now it is her thumb we are working hard on getting her to quit and it is rather quite annoying but I wish now that it was a binky that I could take away or snip!!

*Welcome To Crazy* said...

Heather, Rachel, Kristine, Denise Roberts, and 3 newer girls I don't think you know are all prego!! It's crazy! Your little family is adorable!

Chrissie said...

Wow...that sounds like a good idea! Good luck!

B said...

Oh... I love how kids look when they suck on binkies!!! I tried the snip thing with Saxon, but he noticed it immediately and hated it right then and there, I told him if it wasn't working he should just throw it away. So it was cold turkey for him!!! A few rough nights and he was rid of it soon enough! I just wish my one year old had taken a binkie... he's my thumb sucker, it's cute, but I'm dreading trying to break that!!!

Michal Thompson said...

My kids never took binkies, much to my dismay at the time. But good luck!!!