Wednesday, July 06, 2011

4th of July

We had a wonderful 4th of July.  It started out with a picnic breakfast in Morningside Park with some families from the ward.  After some delicious fruit and crepes, we headed up a few blocks to 115th and Morningside, where a fire truck and ambulance parked and let the kids climb and sit inside.  My boys were in little boy heaven.  Asher probably took about 20 turns sitting in the fire truck.  The firemen were so nice and they even let Asher put on their fire hat.  It looked like it weighed about 20 lbs, so I can't believe he could actually lift it, but it made him so happy.  Sayer was scared to get in at first, (that is so him, always the cautious one until he feels comfortable, then he is good to go) but he eventually took a few turns as well.  But he made me take him back and forth between the 2 vehicles a bunch of times so he could get his fill until he was ready to jump in.  Eventually, the firetruck started it's engine, the kids grabbed their scooters and we all walked up a few blocks and back, for a little 4th of July parade.  When we got back to 115th, the fire truck hooked up to the hydrant and sprayed water for the kids to play in.  It was such a great morning, and such a great neighborhood experience.

Later in the afternoon, I met up with some friends at the 70th street pier on Hudson to stake out some spots for our families.  We got there around 4:30 and got a great spot.  Our family came around 6:45, and the fireworks started about 9:30.  It was a long time to be sitting on that pier.  Thankfully we had great company, beautiful weather, and awesome views.  The kids stayed entertained by watching the boats and airplanes and playing with each other... for 3 hours!  I thought they all did pretty well.

 It didn't take long for Bart to find the food

 Someone was supposed to be going to sleep.  He never did by the way.  He sat in his stroller pretty much the entire time, and barely made a sound.  I think he was tired and zoning.

 Gorgeous light when the sun was setting
 Some kind of water show that was going on before the fireworks
 The sun setting behind NJ

 Asher and his friends playing "baby wolf" or something like that
 The moms... proof that we were there :)
 Boats and the GW bridge in the distance
I thought all their little heads together were so cute

The fireworks were very impressive and we had a fantastic view.  The kids loved them at first, Asher was even heard shouting "this is the best. night. ever!"  All the adults got a kick out of it.  But towards the end they got scared.  When the show was over, it took us about an hour and a half to get home.  From the crowded Riverside park exits, to the ridiculously packed subways, there really wasn't much we could do about it.  Our kids were so tired.  Asher fell asleep on the seat on the subway.  I had started out standing next to him, but ended up getting pushed to the other side of the car from him.  When we got on, there wasn't enough room for Nate and Bart to squeeze in, so they caught the next train.  When it was time for me to get off, I had to ask someone to hand Asher to me because there was no way I could get to him.  Thankfully, everyone was really nice and helpful.  We made it home in one piece and the kids put themselves to bed at 11:45 or so.  Poor things.  But I will say that it was all worth it.  We had a very fun night, and it was worth all the effort.

 All the little kids look so cute!
 Barty was pretty into the fireworks.  According to Nate he was wow-ing and yay-ing the whole time.
 Waiting for the subway at the 72nd st station.  He was so tired he just couldn't stand. ;)

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th!!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

what an awesome holiday! you look amazing with your short hair, it's seriously so cute. what troopers the kids (and parents!) were to stick it out for such a long day. seems like it was well worth it though. i'm a little jealous of your cool city life:)