Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A summer Saturday

Summer so far has been so wonderful.  I honestly love this city.  There is always so much to do.  I don't pretend to even come close to doing it all... way too exhausting, but I am doing my best to get us out there to experience as much as possible.  The best thing about the city though, is even low key days are awesome.  On Saturday I had big plans to make it out to the Highline an Rainbow City down in Chelsea, but I just wasn't feelin' it.  So we stayed local and had a wonderful day.  

Later in the day, the kids and I headed down to the gardens and playground at St. John the Divine.  We saw the peacocks, climbed, played a little basketball (Asher got extremely excited every time he made it into the hoop), ran, and just enjoyed being outside in such a beautiful place.  












Later that evening, Nate and I went to see the play, The Normal Heart.  

It closes in a week or so and wanted to make sure I saw it.  The cast was absolutely amazing, and it was so exciting to see many of them live.  I'm not gonna lie, I was most excited to see Lee Pace, of Pushing Daisies.  Let me tell you ladies, he is just as tall, dark and handsome as you would imagine.  He wasn't a bad actor either. ;)  The play itself was actually a little much for me.  It started out light-hearted and funny.  Towards the end of the first half and basically all of the second half, it just got very angry.  So. Much. Yelling.  I'm not sure if it's the actual events that were frustrating or the way the story was told, but it was very victim-y, and it felt very much like they were trying to make every person in the audience have a very specific response, which I didn't like.  By the end, everyone around us was so somber and quiet, with many actually in tears.  It was a little much for me.  Like I said, it might be because I had certain opinions about the subject matter that made it hard for me to have that kind of response, but either way, I left feeling like it wasn't my favorite and I don't ever need to see that again, nor would I necessarily recommend seeing it.  It was, however, very interesting to learn about the outbreak of the AIDS "plague" as they called it in the play.  A lot of the facts were new to me and very interesting.  Anyway... I don't really want to get too into this because I have no desire to get into a debate about gay politics, so that is all I have to say about it.  No matter what, it was fun to have a night out with the hubs, and I always enjoy going to see a show.

No comments: