Thursday, June 12, 2008

Morgan's Picks

So I today I took Asher and Sayer to our favorite park, and two friends from our ward were there as well, which was a nice bonus for me... real people to talk to! One of my friends, Maryn, is expecting her second girl this September, and was asking me questions about what kinds of baby gear I liked, especially for two kids, and I realized, that I have some pretty strong opinions about this sort of thing. I am that person that thinks that everything I have chosen to get for myself, or everything that I plan to get, is the best. Of course, that only means that it is the best for me, because each mom is so individual, has different needs, style, etc, so what is the best to me, may not be the best to you. However, since I have been having several people ask me my opinions on baby gear, and the like, I am going to give it. After all, this is my blog, and I can say whatever I want, right?! So, every so often, I am going to post baby stuff that I enjoy, and if you like it, great, and if you don't, then, you're wrong! haHA!! Just kidding! I do not profess to be an expert in any of these areas, but, I am a mom, so therefore do have experience with these things, and have also learned a lot about what I like and what I don't like. Just a warning, which I'm sure if you ever read my blog, you already know... but I like to talk... a lot, nothing will be left unsaid, and like I said, I have an opinion about everything, so read on at your own risk!! :)

So, I will start with strollers, because that is what she specifically asked me about today.

My top pick single stroller, is none other than the Maclaren Techno (either XT or Classic). I have the Classic, which I like better, because the padding (which can also be removed) is better for an infant, as it covers the whole seat and back, and also has a head support. But other than the padding, I don't think there is a huge difference. They actually don't make the classic anymore, but you can still purchase it at some stores online. Reasons the Maclaren Techno is the best:

1. It is super light weight. It is basically a glorified umbrella stroller, but sturdier
2. If folds up super tight and has a carrying handle
3. It fully reclines to accommodate an infant (which was the big selling point for me), which most umbrella strollers don't do. Even now, I can put Asher down for a nap when we are out and about and he sleeps great in it!
4. Maclaren is very high quality and durable
5. Has such a nice smooth ride
6. Extendable handle bars for Nate
7. Awesome sun shade, that can seriously cover the entire seat (it unzips further than what is shown in the pic), which is great for a sleeping infant (or toddler).
7. Front wheels can be locked, so you could use it for speed walking, and maybe a light jog

*In my opinion, the only downside to this stroller, is that it doesn't accommodate an infant seat. But I think the benefits outweigh that downside by far. 

It is a little more costly, but I got mine for $169.99 off of ebay, brand new, so it doesn't have to be super costly if you look for deals. 

They also have this same stroller available in a twin, which my sister Whitney has, and likes it (I think). This is the model I would go with if I were looking for a side by side. Sometimes, it can be too wide for shopping errands, but other than that, it's awesome!

As far as double strollers go, you all know my loyalty lies with the Phil & Ted:
Because it's awesome, duh!  But, if you are in the market for something a little less costly, and that allows you to attach an infant seat as well, then I think I would go with something like the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller. It looks super cool, and is a nice option to be able to squeeze through narrow spaces, that is also not a huge boat, like the Graco twins tend to be. I am not very familiar with the Kolcraft brand, but just check out all the different options for the seats on the link above!
I read a bunch of reviews, and it sounds like people LOVE it, and say that it is quite zippy.  The only drawback is that it is rather heavy and large. It retails for $299.

Ok, so that's all for now.  Hope you learned something new.  Stay tuned for the next "Morgan's Picks"!



5 comments:

B said...

I love it Morgan... Morgan's picks, so awesome. Only one suggestion on your Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller recommendation, when I bought my tandem believe it or not I went with the Graco "boat." Why you ask with all the smaller zippier more compact models? Well when I hunted them all down and tried them out for myself I realized quickly that the Graco was the only one that fit my children (the older ones) under the shade canopy without hitting their heads. The Kolcraft one wasn't high enough for my (at the time) 2 year old to sit comfortably in. So just a thought, even though it's bigger and bulkier my five year old can still sit in it without bonking her head either!!! Anyways, long comment, but I guess being a mom and having my opinions too I couldn't help but share!!! :)

Morgan said...

becky, thanks for the comment. i didn't even think about that, but now that i look at it, it does look kind if short.

Hannah said...

The phil n teds stroller is super roomy...Emma loves it! You should get it!

Chrissie said...

I love my Mclaren Easy Traveler, which Rose's car seat snaps into. It is so lightweight and easy to take anywhere...I guess that's why they call it the "easy" traveler!

Sarah said...

That's awesome that you share your finds...you have sold me on the swaddling blankets and I will continue to read about your fav's. -Later